I’ve compiled a list of what I think are the twenty-one best Zombie Comedies to date. It’s not based on anything other than my humble opinion. To keep the list to twenty-one, (I started off trying to do a top ten list) I had to eliminate films that were not really zombie films. These distinctions are all debatable, but I decided not to list the Evil Dead films (deadites), movies like The Signal (people turned into murderous lunatics), or the Re-animator films. All great movies, but you have to draw a line somewhere.
21) Hide and Creep (2004) – Unexpected visitors wake up the sleepy town of
when a bloodthirsty army of the undead wreaks havoc in the streets. Thorsby, Ala.
20) Bio Zombies (1998) – A Japanese cult favorite that pits unwary shopping mall strollers against a horde of ravenous zombies. Two clerks who work at the mall -- unwittingly raise an army of ghouls when they slam into a biochemical company employee with their car, creating a wholesale infection. Better charge it!
18) Boy Eats Girls (2005) – Resurrected by his mother after a tragic accident, 17-year-old Nathan awakens with a taste for human flesh. A run-in with a school bully sets off events that spread Nathan's "condition" all over town. Meanwhile, the undead Nathan tries to curb his appetite for his dream girl.
12) Undead (2003) – When an intense meteor shower covers the countryside, it spreads an incurable infection among residents of a peaceful fishing town, turning them into flesh-eating zombies. Running for her life, Rene finds refuge in an isolated farmhouse. There, she meets four others who survived the disaster. Together, they fend off the walking dead and learn the truth about those they're fighting.
11) The Return of the Living Dead II (1988) When a barrel of mysterious gas rolls off an Army truck, the lethal contents wafts into a nearby cemetery, reanimating a horde of ravenous zombies. Kind of a rehash of the original but one that never takes itself seriously, and even pokes fun of itself.
10) Dead Snow (2009) – A group of friends run into Nazi zombies, armed with machine-guns. A quirky comedy horror, shot on location in the mountains of
9) Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009) – When flesh-eating zombies assault their idyllic town, a ragtag group of locals -- including a gay couple, an Iranian American college student, and a conservative Reverend join forces to repel the brutal onslaught. Set in a paranoid post-9/11
8) Dance of the Dead (2008) – On the night of the big High-School Prom, the dead rise to eat the living, and the only people who can stop them are the losers who couldn't get dates to the dance.
7) Doghouse (2009) – Six guys hell-bent on having a raucous weekend away from wives and lovers arrive in the remote town of
6) Dead and Breakfast (2004) – Six friends on their way to a wedding, stop for the night at a quaint bed and breakfast in the sleepy town of
5) Dead Alive (1992) When a Sumatran rat-monkey bites Lionel Cosgrove's mother, she's transformed into a zombie. She begins killing (and transforming) the entire town while Lionel races to keep things under control. Events culminate at a house party that turns into a blood-drenched zombie buffet. NOTE: try to see the Peter Jackson’s original uncut version. Many great scenes were cut for an American release.
4) Fido (2006) – A young boy, Timmy Robinson has a very unusual pet -- a loyal, lumbering zombie named Fido, played by Billy Connolly. Problems arise when Fido breaks loose and noshes on a neighbor. Timmy is suddenly forced into damage-control mode while he tries to persuade his parents not to put Fido down.
3) Zombieland (2009) – Looking to survive in a world taken over by zombies, a dorky college student teams with an urban roughneck and two grifter sisters. But after making their way to an allegedly safe
park, the quartet learns that no place is safe. Los Angeles
1) Shaun of the Dead (2004) – Zombie rise in the streets of
Because I had to cut the list off at some point, here are some Honorable Mentions: The Stink of Flesh (2004), Slither (2006), Night of the Creeps (1986), My Boyfriend’s Back (1993), American Zombie (2008), Chocking Hazard (2004), Dead Heat (1988), Dead Moon Rising (2007) Tokyo Zombie (2009) Zombie Strippers (2008)